Recent Team Publications
PUBLICATIONS CF Team/UoE CHERC collaborative last 5 years
- Quantification of Thigh Muscle Volume in Children using Magnetic Resonance Imaging: Accuracy of volumetric calculation methods in youth. Owen William Tomlinson, Alan Robert Barker, Jonathan Fulford, Paul Wilson, Patrick John Oades, Craig Anthony Williams. European Journal of Sports Science (submitted) May 2019
- Analysis of Oxygen Uptake Efficiency Parameters in Young people with Cystic Fibrosis. Owen W. Tomlinson, Alan R. Barker, Lucy V. Chubbock, Daniel Stevens, Zoe L.Saynor, Patrick J. Oades, Craig A. Williams. Eur J Appl Physiol 2018 (In Press)
- Oxygen Uptake Efficiency Slope is not a Valid Surrogate of Aerobic Fitness in Children with Cystic Fibrosis. CA Williams, OW Tomlinson, LV Chubbock, D Stevens, ZL Saynor, PJ Oades, AR Barker. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2018; 53(1):36-42.
- Promotion of Exercise in the Management of Cystic Fibrosis – Summary of National Meetings. OW Tomlinson, J Shelley, S Denford, AR Barker, PJ Oades, CA Williams. In Press: Eur J Pers Cent Healthcare 2018, Vol 6(2);196-203.
- Measurement of V̇O2max in clinical groups is feasible and necessary. Craig Williams, Zoe Saynor, Alan Barker, Patrick Oades, and Owen Tomlinson. (Letter) J Appl Physiol 2017; 123: 1017;doi:10.1152/japplphysiol.00538.
- Scaling the Oxygen Uptake Efficiency Slope for Body Size in Cystic Fibrosis. Owen William Tomlinson, Alan Robert Barker, Patrick John Oades, Craig Anthony Williams. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2017; 49(10):1980-1986
- Skeletal muscle oxidative capacity is/is not altered in patients with cystic fibrosis. CrossTalk article. Prof. Craig A. Williams, Dr. Zoe L. Saynor, Owen Tomlinson, Dr Patrick Oades, Dr. Alan R. Barker. (Letter). J Physiol 2017 doi: 10.1113/JP272486
- Exercise capacity following a percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy in a young female with cystic fibrosis: A case report. Owen W. Tomlinson, Alan R. Barker, Patrick J. Oades, Craig A. Williams. Physiol Rep 2016; Aug; 4(16). pii: e12904.
- Validity and reliability concerns associated with cardiopulmonary exercise testing young people with cystic fibrosis. Zoe L. Saynor, Dr. Alan R. Barker, Dr. Patrick J. Oades, Owen W. Tomlinson, Prof. Craig Anthony Williams. (Letter). Respiration 2016 30;92(1):61-2.
- Impaired Pulmonary V˙O2 Kinetics in Cystic Fibrosis Depend on Exercise Intensity. Zoe Saynor, Alan Barker, Patrick Oades, Craig Williams. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2016; 48(11); 2090-2099.
- Airflow limitation following cardiopulmonary exercise testing and heavy-intensity intermittent exercise in children with cystic fibrosis. Daniel Stevens, Patrick J. Oades, Craig A. Williams. Eur J Pediatr 2015; 174(2): 251-257
- The Effect of Ivacaftor in Children with Cystic Fibrosis (G551D Mutation): An Exercise Physiology Perspective. Zoe L. Saynor, Dr. Alan R. Barker, Dr. Patrick J. Oades, Prof. Craig A. Williams. Pediatr Phys Ther 2014;26(4):454-461
- Impaired Aerobic Function in Young Cystic Fibrosis Patients During Ramp Exercise. Z. L Saynor, A R Barker, P J Oades, C A Williams. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2014;46(12):2271-2278
Abstracts / Posters / oral Presentations last 5 yrs
- Exercise limitation in young cystic fibrosis patients with mild to moderate disease is dependent on exercise intensity. Zoe L. Saynor, Alan R. Barker, Patrick J. Oades, Craig A. Williams. 11th Australasian CF Conference, Sydney; Aug 2015
- The feasibility of a home-based exercise intervention for the improvement of aerobic function in young cystic fibrosis patients. Tomlinson, O W; Barker, A R; Oades Patrick; Williams Craig A. URI:http://hdl.handle.net/11287/583451.Conference poster displayed at Clinical Trials Symposium, RD&E Exeter, Nov 2015.
- Oxygen uptake efficiency slope is not a valid submaximal measure of aerobic capacity in paediatric cystic fibrosis patients. Chubbock, L V; Barker, A R; Tomlinson, O W; Saynor, Z; Stevens, D; Williams, Craig A; Oades, Patrick. URI:http://hdl.handle.net/11287/583450. Conference poster displayed at the Clinical Trials Symposium, RD&E Exeter, Nov 2015.
- Chubbock, L. V., Barker, A. R., Tomlinson, O. W., Saynor, Z. L., Oades, P. J., Williams, C. A. Oxygen uptake efficiency slope is not a valid submaximal measure of aerobic capacity in paediatric cystic fibrosis patients. Poster presentation at the 2015 UK Cystic Fibrosis Conference, Manchester, England.
- Novel approaches for cystic fibrosis associated respiratory fungal infections. Smith, V. Duncan, T. Young, L. Katvars, D. Fraser-Pitt, B. Enderby, N. Withers, C. Sheldon, C. Auckland, P. Oades, D. O’Neil. ePS03.9. 39th European Cystic Fibrosis Conference, Switzerland 2016 – Poster Presentation.
- Complications of Totally Implantable Venous Access Devices (TIVADs) in a CF Centre. H.J. Mortimer, J. Shelley, P.J. Oades, B.J. Enderby, N.J. Withers, C.D. Sheldon. 39th European Cystic Fibrosis Conference, Basel, Switzerland 8 – 11 June 2016 – Poster Presentation
- Pathogen or innocent bystander? Review of Exophiala colonized cystic fibrosis patients at a single UK centre. Louise Anning, Katherine Rider, Katherine Pavel, Beth Enderby, Patrick Oades, Nick Withers, Chris Sheldon. Poster. 2016 30th Annual North American Cystic Fibrosis Conference, Orlando, Florida.
- Developing exercise testing for clinical practice in a UK cystic fibrosis centre. Owen William Tomlinson, Alan Robert Barker, Jayne Trott, Patrick John Oades, Craig Anthony Williams. 2nd National Cystic Fibrosis Conference: Facing the Challenges of Today, Manchester 2018
- Associations between airway clearance techniques and exercise capacity in cystic fibrosis. Alice Day, Jayne Trott, Owen Tomlinson, Patrick Oades, Nick Withers. 2nd National Cystic Fibrosis Conference: Facing the Challenges of Today, Manchester 2018.
- The utility of oxygen uptake efficiency as a marker of aerobic fitness in children with cystic fibrosis. O. W. Tomlinson, A. R. Barker, L. Chubbock, D. Stevens, Z. L. Saynor, P. J. Oades, C. A. Williams.41st European Cystic Fibrosis Conference, Belgrade, Serbia June 2018 – Oral & Poster Presentation
- Reasons for Non-Compliance with Cardiopulmonary Exercise Testing. J Trott, OW Tomlinson B Bowhay, CA Williams, NJ Withers, PJ Oades. 41st European Cystic Fibrosis Conference, Belgrade, Serbia June 2018 – Poster Presentation
- Validity of prediction equations for evaluating aerobic fitness in cystic fibrosis. W. Tomlinson, A. R. Barker, J. Trott, N. J. Withers, P. J. Oades, C. A. Williams. 42nd European Cystic Fibrosis Conference, Liverpool UK June 2019 – Poster Presentation
- Predicting Intravenous Antibiotic Usage with Cardiopulmonary Exercise Testing in Cystic Fibrosis. Wooldridge DJ, Tomlinson OW, Bland CL, Oades PJ, Sheldon CD, Withers NJ, Williams CA. 42nd European Cystic Fibrosis Conference, Liverpool UK June 2019 – Poster Presentation